BarbariansAtBay

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Currently Reading Thomas More: A Portrait in Courage

I'm not that deep into it yet, but I am already quite impressed with Thomas More: A Portrait of Courage by Gerard B. Wegemer. I mean no slight to the considerable talents of the author when I say that subject alone is quite impressive.

More, patron of attorneys and statesmen, is a paragon and somewhat unique in that he is a model for laymen, particularly family men. Elesha Coffman in a Christianity Today article, judging the man by today's standards and citing to his prosecution of Protestants prior to his own prosecution, asserts that "More is not quite a model for all seasons". I could not disagree more. Curiously, despite reservations of the sort expressed by Ms. Coffman, More was added to the Anglican calendar of Saints in 1980 - a fact I learned from my book mark rather than the book.